Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Great book covers part 2


In book shops there is always a 'Classics' section. A few of them are twentieth century stuff, what might be considered 'Modern Classics' such as Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5. Some of these have vaguely interesting covers. Some older books like Jane Austen's works have been re-released with more modern covers to appeal to fresh generation as well. However, most covers in the classics section fall into two broad categories.
The first of these is a relatively recent development. They are the ones with cheap, bright green covers made with recycled paper. They retail for about £2. I don't mind these covers. They're cheery and disposable and the cheapness of the editions means people can pick up classic literature without it costing the Earth.
I take umbrage with the second category. You will have seen these. They are editions of classic titles in jackets that have old oil paintings on them. I hate them. I don't mind art. Interesting stuff like Van Gogh, Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol etc. But these old oil paintings are so fusty and dull, it makes you think the content of the book will be the same. I don't care how much I'd like to read some Thomas Hardy, every time I pick up a copy of one of his books the oil painting on the cover has me yawning before I can even open it up.

Which is why this cover for Voltaire's satirical novel Candide is so great. It features a crudely drawn comic strip telling part of the story with stickmen. It's playful and irreverant, which makes me really want to read the book inside, hoping it will share those characteristics. I really want this book on my bookshelf, for the cover alone. I only hope the novel lives up to its cover.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter