Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Cider Diaries-17/2/09

Fog and I did did our radio show down at the hospital as usual and then, as usual, we headed to Koko Gorilaz to meet Ceri for our Sunday Roast fix. Normally after that, give or take an extra pint or two, we would head back to Fog's for TV and cider. Today however Fog and Ceri were wanting to watch some sort of sport thing or other and I couldn't be bothered with it so I arranged to meet back at their place later.

I knew Fog would be expecting me to bring some ciders from our trip to Bristol for us to try but I hate to be predictable so when I left Koko Gorillaz I went to an off-licence opposite to find something new. So when I met the others later I had something they weren't expecting.

64. Kopparberg Apple Cider
Kopparberg is best known, in this country at least, for its delicious pear cider that we've already sampled. In fact their apple cider is rarely seen, buried in a crowded apple-cider market. Personally I prefer the pear variety although the apple is decent enough. Very sweet, a strong apple flavour. Ceri said, "I didn't think it was too bad, not brilliant though, I'm not a fan of Kopparberg in general." Fog thought it was quite drinkable and offered the revelatory insight that it was, "Like an apple version of its pear cousin."

65. Cripple Cock Farmyard Cider
Fog was still expecting a Bristolian cider but I had another suprise in store for him. My housemates had been on holiday to Cornwall and by all accounts had an adyllic time. They picked mussels and seaweed up on the beach and cooked the mussels and made lavabread with the seaweed. More importantly, they brought me back a cider. The amusingly named Crippled Cock comes in a plastic litre bottle and features a picture of a cider swigging rooster on crutches on the label.

It's quite a strong cider and tasted more distinctive than pretty much every other cider we've had from a plastic bottle this year with is definitely something in its favour. Fog said, "It's good: you can tell it's quite strong." It was very nice but nothing spectacular.

66. Ashton Press Cider
Finally one of our Bristolian purchases. It looked pretty classy and I was expecting big things for its Bristol associations alone but Fog thought it was a little bland. I thought it was alright but again, nothing special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter