Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Cider Diaries-7/2/09

Today is a sad day for Cardiff Cider Diarists, of which I am the chief and possibly only example. I took a call from Fog at lunchtime and he had some bad news for me.

A couple of weeks ago I was walking home from the pub with Fog and Emma, fresh bottles of cider in hand, when we passed an off-licence on Woodville Road close to our where we live. Although we had some cider already I wanted to check if they had others we hadn't already tried. Especially because Fog thought that they wouldn't.

Inside I was soon gloating because they had three new ciders. This would have been good enough but there was more. Amongst the three was Frome Valley Medium cider, a close relation to Frome Valley Dry cider, one of the highest ratest ciders we've tried so far. I was genuinely excited to try some. I was going to buy them but Fog stopped me. "We don't need any now. We've got some for tonight. Now we've found them we know where they are for when we're running out of places to find new ciders." Reluctantly I agreed.

So you can imagine my display when Fog called to tell me that the place was closing down. "I just walked past the place and the shutters are half down, they're loading everything into a truck." I'm gutted. This experience has taught me a very valuable lesson. If you get the chance to try and seldom seen and delicious cider seize it. Don't let that opportunity slip through your fingers. It's too late for me this time, I only hope others can learn from my mistakes. Or Fog's mistakes, if we're being strictly accurate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter