Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Cider Diaries-25/1/09

Our regular Sunday lunchtime spot Koko Gorilaz had run out of ciders we hadn't yet tried. I was beginning to think that we would need to start finding a decent Sunday Roast elsewhere. Luckily Fog's live in lover Emma is working shifts at Koko Gorilaz to save up some money for her travelling. Even more luckily, she is a bit of a living legend.

In the back of the fridge, behind the bar upstairs, Emma spied two lonely bottles of cider that everyone else had forgotten was still there. Our friend Jamo, who also works there, kindly agreed to put them aside for me and Fog. Emma told Fog but I didn't know about it. Fog told me to go to the bar and ask for a surprise. Being a trusting sort of bloke I did just that. From behind the bar Jamo grinned at me, "I'll just go fetch it." and so it was that this afternoon, after our radio show me and Fog were able to enjoy...

38. Broadoak Pear Cider
This cider doesn't really taste alcoholic at all. You could easily believe that it was a fizzy, pear flavoured soft-drink. It's delicious and tastes more like pears than pears do but it's so sweet you can't drink more than one bottle of the the stuff without starting to feel slightly sick. Fog didn't like the smell but Ceri had a taste and described it as tasting like Peartize to which Fog agreed.

After this Ceri stayed at the pub to watch the football but me and Fog decided to leave. We picked up a cider to enjoy back at Fog's place and while it was chilling we enjoyed a cider Fog already had waiting for us.

39. Tillington Hills
I found this a bit unpleasant on first taste, slightly sour and noted that Fog also grimaced after sipping at it. "This isn't very nice is it?" he complained. I agreed but I thought it was just the contrast from the Broadoak. We drank some more, hoping to get used to it but Tillington Hills is probably the dryest cider I have ever come across. Fog complained that it wasn't going down easy and it took us a while to finish up this particular drink.

40. St. Helier Blueberry
Ceri arrived home in time for us all to try this next cider. Ceri poured his into a glass so we could all check out the colour of this blueberry flavoured pear cider. It was bright blue. Not the natural, purpley blue of an actual blueberry but a bright, unatural, sky blue. I began to suspect that Fog wouldn't like this cider. I was right. Fog didn't like it at all.

Ceri was a lot more postive, "It's not bad, I don't mind shit like this 'cos it's like WKD it's just easy to drink." It did taste like a sugary alcopop. It had a vague blueberry flavour, about as natural as the colour.

There was some writing on the label.

In days gone by, cider makers always kept
a corner of their orchard for growing pears.
They used this to produce a pear cider for
their family to enjoy, as they believed it to be
superior to apple cider. They were right.
There is no mention of whether the cider makers of 'days gone by' also preferred their cider full of synthetic colourings and flavourings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter