Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bored of Obama...

Alright, I know, I know. He's better than Bush and he's hopefully do some great stuff over the next four years but he's everywhere! He's on the front of every publication from Spiderman to Men's Health. Plus everyone is so sickeningly upbeat and positive about him! I haven't heard a decent joke about the guy. Not only that but everyone is trying to twist Obamamania for their own ends.

Tonight me and a few friends went to see a film at Cineworld(The Wrestler if you're wondering and yeah, it was pretty good). We were stood outside afterwards discussing the film we'd just seen when a cocky looking blonde guy approached us. "Alright guys? Having a good night?" He asked. "You know what today is don't you?"

I figured there were too options, either he was one of those slightly irritating, genuinely friendly, outgoing people who will approach strangers in the street and strike up a conversation or his friends weren't far off and he was planning to mock/humilate us somehow for their amusement. Best not to humour him either way but I was curious. "No. What's today?"
"It's the inaugoration! If you're up for a good time we're having a celebration next door,"*indicates bar,*"It's only five pounds entry and we'll be playing some great African Beats".

Aha, so not an overfriendly stranger, just an arrogant cock end trying to drum up trade for a club night. Alright, maybe you're thinking I'm being harsh. He's just doing his job after all. Don't get me wrong, I can sympathise with that. After all, I've been outside flyering in the cold before now, trying to get people off the streets and into a bookshop. But the think is that you weren't there and I was. So you'll have to take my word for it when I tell you, he really did come across as an arrogant cock end. "Barack Obama's going to change the world. It's great, he's bringing people together, breaking down boundaries, getting over the differences between different denominations, that's why we're throwing this celebration tonight." So, not to sell overpriced drinks then?

One of my friends tried to fob him off, "I would but I'm working in the morning so..."
"Oh, I'm working tomorrow mate. I've gotta drive back tomorrow morning, then I'm working eight hours at London Victoria, dealing with customers, talking to Northern Wankers..."
"It's good, isn't it?" I interupted him, "Barack Obama is breaking down boundaries, bringing people together regardless of race or nationality. Just as long as we all remember, Northerners are still cunts!"
"Ah, right," Smug smile frozen on smug face, "You noticed...that's very..."
"Let's head off, yeah?"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter