Let's Make This Precious

Carping from the sidelines

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Cider Diaries-11/1/09

Fog and I went to The Social for lunch after our radio show. The Social is the one pub we go to more than any other so while we're keen to drink lots of ciders, quickly, we don't want to drink every cider they have to offer right away or every time we drink there will be a drink that isn't a new cider we could be drinking elsewhere. So we put a new rule in place. We can only count one cider a week at The Social towards the challenge.

This week, to enjoy with our usual Sunday roast, I selected...

21. Brother's Strawberry Mixed Pear Cider
Fog pulled a face after his first swig. "This is horrible. It tastes of pink." I knew what he meant, there was no real taste of pear there and the strawberry was clearly synthetic. I didn't actually think it was that bad but I certainly couldn't recommend it as a cider. You couldn't taste any alcohol in it. It was like drinking a bottle of cherryade. Alright in its place but it doesn't compliment a roast dinner if I'm honest. Fog disliked it so much that he actually had to go and buy a lemonade to drink halfway through his pint before he could finish the cider.

22. Upcider Premium Pear Cider
We picked up three bottles of this Finnish cider on the way back to Fog's place where Ceri was waiting for us. At first I thought it tasted alright, not dissimilar to it's European cousin Kopparberg but the more I drank the less I enjoyed it. We all noted a rather unpleasant aftertaste. "It's got a bit of a tang to it," Ceri said thoughtfully, adding, "I'm gonna have to down the rest of this now just to get it finished."

Fog has promised that there are some graphs on the way so hopefully I will be able to add those to the blog shortly. Apparently we have now completed 6% of the challenge in 3% of the allotted time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter